When I made banana pudding at Peggy’s restaurant, it took twelve lbs. of bananas and about 6 boxes of vanilla wafers. Every dish was made from “scratch” as we Southerners called it. Banana pudding was one of our best sellers. ENJOY!
Peggy's Banana Pudding
When I made banana pudding at Peggy's restaurant, it took twelve lbs. of bananas and about 6 boxes of vanilla wafers. Every dish was made from "scratch" as we Southerners called it. Banana pudding was one of our best sellers. ENJOY!
Author: Peggy Chaney
Recipe type: Dessert
- 3 egg yolks + 1 whole egg
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. flour(plain)
- 1 (11 oz.) box vanilla wafers
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup sweet milk
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp.vanilla
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 1 tsp rum flavoring
- Place in mixer bowl the egg yolks, plus 1 egg, 1 cup sugar, flour, and salt. Beat this until creamy and yellow color.
- Add sweet milk, canned milk, vanilla and rum flavorings.
- Pour into saucepan on medium heat and let come to boiling point, stirring constantly. Do not boil.
- Remove from heat.
- In Pyrex dish, layer vanilla wafers, next layer of bananas, sliced thin. Repeat until wafers and bananas are gone.
- Next pour custard mix all over and let seep down through bananas and wafers.
- Beat egg whites stiff.
- Add 3 tbsp. sugar and ½ tsp. vanilla.
- Place on top of pudding mixture and bake for for 10 or 15 minutes at 350 degrees or enough to brown meringue.