- 1 cup milk plus 2 tbsp.
- 2 pkgs (1 -1/2 tbsp) active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 21 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 5 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 tsp. maple extract
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 cups walnuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup caramel topping (Smucker’s)
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1 . Scald 1 cup milk (heat to steaming). In a mixing bowl combine warm milk, yeast and sugar.Let yeast start to bubble, about 5 minutes.
2. Add 12 tbsp butter and eggs to mixer and beat, with the paddle attachment, until slightly blended. Stir in flour and salt, about 2 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl and continue mixing on medium speed to develop the dough. 3 minutes more
3. Transfer dough to a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap; set aside in a warm place and let rise until doubled, about an hour. Grease two large- up muffin tins. Melt 6 tbsp.butterand stir in 1-1/2 tsp. maple extract; set aside.
4. Gently punch down dough and divide in half. Roll into 2-12 by 18 inch rectangles on a lightly floured work surface. Spread maple-butter mixture evenly over both rectangles. Sprinkle each with half the brown sugar and walnuts. Roll tightly into logs, starting at the long edge and pinch seams together. Cut each log into 6 -3 inch for a total of 12 buns. Place in muffin tins cut side up. Cover and allow to rise for 30 minutes .
Heat oven to 325 degrees. Bake until golden brown, 28 to 30 minutes.
5. Combine caramel topping and 1-1/2 tsp. maple extract. Carefully remove hot buns from pan and place on a clean baking sheet; drizzle with caramel.
For icing: melt 3 tbsp butter and stir together with powdered sugar and 2 tbsp milk; drizzle over buns. Serve warm or cool. Makes 12 large buns!