This is the applesauce cake you want on a cool autumn Sunday evening. Full of the flavors everyone craves – brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. It’s very moist and delicious all by itself, but even yummier with a dollop of whipped cream or frosting!
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp baking cocoa
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp allspice
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups applesauce
- ¼ cup butter softened
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 can crushed pineapple 20 oz
- 1 can coconut 7 oz
- 1 tbsp flour
- Combine flour, soda, baking cocoa, cinnamon, cloves and allspice in a large bowl; mix well.
- Mix sugar with applesauce (If you use store-bought applesauce, choose one with a chunky texture) in bowl; mix well.
- Stir in butter, pecans and raisins.
- Pour into 3 greased and floured 9-inch cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until layers are done.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Spread frosting between layers and over top and side of cake.
- Combine ingredients in saucepan.
- Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.