A wonderful, homemade eggnog. This puts store-bought eggnog to shame, and it’s more than worth the extra effort! Begin 2 hours ahead of time, or early in the day. You can also make the preliminary mixture the night before if you like. If you’ve never had genuine, home-made eggnog, you don’t know what you’re missing out on!
Mama Peggy’s Homemade Eggnog
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ cups rum
- ½ cup brandy
- 6 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- In large bowl, beat egg yolks with sugar at low speed to mix.
- When mixed, beat at high speed until mixture is thick and lemon-colored (about 15 minutes), frequently scraping bowl.
- Carefully beat in rum and brandy, one tablespoon at a time to prevent curdling mixture.
- Cover and chill. This is your base mixture and can be stored for a while until you're ready to serve the eggnog.
- About 20 minutes before serving, in a chilled 5- to 6-quart punch bowl, stir in yolk mixture, milk and 1 1/4 teaspoons of nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites at high speed until soft peaks form.
- In a small bowl, using the same beaters and with mixer at medium speed, beat cream until stiff peaks form.
- With wire whisk, gently fold the egg whites and cream into your yolk mixture until just blended.
- To serve, sprinkle some nutmeg over the top of the eggnog.