Sometimes you never knew you wanted to make something until you did. Soda crackers are like that. One of those mysteries we take for granted, but which people had to make on their own back in the days before you could whisk down to the supermarket. These are a lot better than store-bought crackers!
Homemade Soda Crackers
- 5 ½ cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ tsp soda
- ½ cup lard of butter
- Combine the dry ingredients.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the lard (or butter), working it in well as if you're making a pie crust.
- Add enough cold water to make a stiff dough.
- Knead the dough (or beat with a rolling pin) for 20 minutes.
- Roll out like a pie crust.
- Cut the dough into squares and prick with a fork.
- Bake at 350 degrees until light brown.