This is the recipe for the legendary sandwich chili that Mama Peggy served-up on burgers and hotdogs at Peggy’s Restaurant for almost 30 years. Folks in Kings Mountain, North Carolina, still talk about those burgers and hot dogs, and this chili was an essential ingredient.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 tbsp minced onion
- 2.5 tbsp chili powder
- 4.5 tbsp ketchup
- ½ tbsp salt
- ½ tbsp pepper
- In saucepan over medium heat, brown ground beef.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- When beef is browned, drain grease if any.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir while mixture continues to cook, breaking down big chunks of meat into an even consistency.
- Turn down to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
If you’ve ever ordered a burger “all the way” in the Piedmont area of North Carolina, you got this kind of chili, with mustard and onions. A Mama Peggy classic! This is the recipe for the legendary sandwich chili that Mama Peggy served to customer at Peggy’s Restaurant in Kings Mountain, North Carolina for almost 30 years.