- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 can (20 oz.) crushed pineapple
- 1- 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tsp. coconut flavoring
- 1 tsp. vanilla flavoring
- 4 cups of heavy cream (whipping)
- 1 -1/2 cups of powdered sugar, divided
- 2 pkg. (8 oz.each) cream cheese, softened
- 5 cups of flaked coconut, divided
Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Drain pineapple, reserving 1 cup juice. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine flour and baking powder. In another bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating on high speed until thick and lemon colored. Beat in the butter, flavorings and 1/2 cup reserved juice. Add dry ingredients; beat until well blended.
3. Beat egg whites with clean beaters on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tbsp.at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
4. Transfer to two greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 18 to 22 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for ten minutes before removing from pans to cool completely.
5. In a large bowl whipping cream until it begins to thicken. Add 1 cup powdered sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. In another bowl, beat the cream cheese, pineapple and remaining powdered sugar until blended: Stir in two cups coconut. Fold in whipped cream, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
6. Cut each cake horizontally into two layers! Place bottom layer on serving plate; drizzle with two tbsp. reserved juice. Spread with2 cups icing. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining cake layer and drizzle with remaining juice. Spread remaining icing over top and sides of cake. Press remaining coconut onto top and sides. Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving!!! Enjoy!!!!