None of our customers at Peggy’s Restaurant seemed to care that the dumplings were made with pasta dumplings. In fact we sold the heck out of those dumplings. On Fridays we had standing room only. I would not let anything that I prepared go out of that kitchen until it tasted JUST right to me. Of course, we won’t talk about the problem I had keeping my weight under control!!!!!!!. The pot I used held 12 chickens so you can imagine how much I prepared for the cafe. WHEW!!!!!! ~ Mama Peggy
- 1 Large Hen or 4 large Chicken Breasts
- 2 cans Campbells cream of chicken soup
- 1 large pkg. of Mueller's dumplings
- 3 or 4 eggs (Boiled and sliced)
- 1 stick of margarine
- Cook chicken or chicken breasts in pot, covered with water.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook until done and dip chicken out.
- Cool chicken and then shred.
- Strain broth and put back into pot.
- Add two cans of Cream of Chicken soup and margarine.
- Then add shredded chicken.
- Stir and bring to rolling boil.
- Then stir in dumplings.
- Turn off heat. Close lid tightly. Do not be tempted to check on them. Let sit for about an hour.
- Then add boiled and sliced eggs.
(NOTE: We realize this image shows actual dumplings instead of the egg noodles called for in Mama Peggy’s recipe. We’ll replace the image later once we re-create the recipe in our test kitchen.