A classic American dish (and a Peggy’s Restaurant favorite) that you don’t often find in restaurants (unless it is a cafeteria) is stuffed bell peppers. They are basically a sort of meatloaf stuffed into bell peppers and baked in the oven. Done right, they’ll make your mouth water.
Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion medium
- 2 cups cooked rice
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 can tomato sauce (15 oz)
- 5 lg green bell peppers
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Brown ground beef in skillet, stirring until crumbly; drain.
- Add onion, rice, garlic salt, salt, pepper and half the tomato sauce.
- Mix well.
- Slice tops from peppers; discard seeds.
- Spoon ground beef mixture into peppers.
- Place in baking dish.
- Top with cheese (if desired) and remaining tomato sauce.
- Bake, covered, at 375 degrees for 50 minutes.