- 4 lb yellow squash, sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup (4 oz.) freshly shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. chopped basil
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups soft breadcrumbs, divided
- 1 -1/4 cups (5 oz.) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1/2 cup crushed French fried onions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook yellow squash and onion in boiling water to cover in a large pot 8 minutes or just until the vegetables are tender; drain squash mixture well.
2. Combine squash mixture,shredded Cheddar cheese, next 5 ingredients, 1 cup bread crumbs and 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Spoon into a lightly greased 13x 9inch baking dish.
3. Stir together melted butter, french fried onions, and remaining 1 cup breadcrumbs and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over squash mixture.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until set. ENJOY!
This is a new twist on a squash casserole that I think you will like! Nearly every squash casserole is basically the same! I love it myself and I will always be searching for new ways to prepare the dishes that you and I enjoy! I think this one is a winner!
~ Mama Peggy