Green Bean Casserole has also been a staple on the Thanksgiving table for a lot of years! Well! This is a newer version! It will be on my Thanksgiving table! I hope you try it! I haven’t been able to work on my website for a long period because of sickness in our family! I promise to keep working on it ! Keep checking in ! Thank you for your interest! We appreciate it! ~ Mama Peggy
Homestyle Green Bean Casserole
Green Bean Casserole has also been a staple on the Thanksgiving table for a lot of years! Well! This is a newer version! It will be on my Thanksgiving table! I hope you try it!
- 1 ½ lb fresh green beans (trimmed)
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ½ cup fat free buttermilk
- 1 tbsp Ranch dressing mix
- 2 tsp thyme (freshly chopped)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 pkg sliced mushrooms (8 oz)
- 1 cup French's fried onions (crushed)
- ½ cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 2 plum tomatoes (seeded and chopped)
- vegetable cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook green beans in boiling water until they are done; drain.
- Plunge in ice water to stop the cooking process; Drain and pat dry.
- Melt 2 tbsp. butter in large pot.
- Whisk in flour until smooth.
- Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in 1-1/2 cups milk; whisking constantly 3 or 4 minutes or until sauce is thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and whisk in buttermilk and next 4 ingredients.
- Melt 1 tsp. butter in a medium skillet over med. high heat; add mushrooms and saute' 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from heat; Let stand 5 minutes.
- Gently toss mushrooms and green beans in buttermilk sauce.
- Place in a 13×9 inch or 3 quart baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Combine French's fried onions and next 2 ingredients; sprinkle over green bean mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown!